Monday, July 17, 2006

 

Worst Day Ever

Apologies for the whining ranty post, but I just need to get this off my chest.

I've been at the bookies for just over 2 years now, and I have to say that today has been the worst day I've had.

Now, this is quite a claim, given the copious amounts of days I've spent getting abused by punters, had people trying to cheat me, given people the wrong amount back for a bet and watched them flee the shop like Westmead Hawk, came in after consuming one too many drink of Mother Russia's finest and suffering a whole day of general crappiness.

Today though, was just a complete and utter chore from the moment I walked in, to the moment I walked out.

It's extremely warm in Scotland at the moment, temperatures are in the 28 degrees area, which is highly unusual for us. My shop does not have air conditioning. We can normally lessen the blow slightly by opening the back window, opening the front door and letting a couple of small fans attempt to circulate some cold air around the shop, with limited success. This was not possible today thanks to the fishmonger next door deciding to leave some rotten fish out the back of his shop. Faced with the choice of vomiting profusely due to the smell, or sweating to death, we chose the sweating option.

So, it's inordinately warm inside the shop. This makes the punters warm. Punters, on the whole, do not believe in any form of personal hygiene, be it a proper shower, or even a French shower. The warmth makes them sweat. Thanks to a distinct lack of any deodorant or anti-perspirant, they absolutely stink.

Now, today wasn't particularly busy, but it was constant. We did a reasonable number of bets for the shop, but there were no quiet or busy spells. Just a constant stream of business over the whole day, from 12:30 to 9:30, at no point did it get quiet, or did it get any busier. Very unusual, and very unwelcome given that by 5pm I just wanted to lie in a freezer. The same people staying in the shop the whole time, betting on every single race. Now, I'm loathe to criticise these people, for they be the hand that feeds me, but Christ on a bike, what kind of existance do they lead when they can spend the whole day in the bookies, betting on ever race. It just boggles the mind.

So I think I'm going to start whinging more and more to our District Manager for air conditioning, because if I'm going to have to suffer it, I sure as hell ain't gonna do it in silence. I'd like to see him put 5 full day shifts in the shop and see if doesn't agree with our shops need for air conditioning! Tis a disgrace!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?