Friday, March 17, 2006

 

Righto...

Thanks for the comment, "shambles" - A well delivered kick up the backside. Ouch.

Anyway, you're quite right, although the group project has taken up a reasonable amount of my time, but 'tis a poor excuse for ~2 months (is it closer to 3 months?) of no posts. Bleh.

[x] Must try Harder. (I do read those forums ;))

Moving on, 2 weeks ago I was dragged kicking and screaming from my usual shop, with its comforts and reasonable punters, to an utter shithole of a shop down in one of my city's slightly less desirable areas. There's a few shops down that end, three to be precise, and each of them has its own unique 'flavour'. For one of the shops in question, is quite literal.

Shop A - This shop has the worst smelling punters I've ever had the misfortune to catch a whiff of. Christ on a stick, you'd think there was a national shortage of soap and any form of deodorant in the country. I'm not saying that on the whole punters aren't smelly, because if you were to take the average punter, place your face in their armpit and take a deep breath... well, you'd be doing well if you kept down whatever you last ate. But this shop is different - it's like a whole new level of smelliness. There was one unfortunate soul - someone whom smelt so bad I actually had to go through the back of the shop and retch. Absolutely godawful. Bush and Blair could have planted this man in Baghdad, and used him as evidence for weapons of mass destruction. It was such a shame for the man, but I've never been so thankful for air freshener.

Shop B - This shop seems to be a regular place for our heroin taking friends to gather. Always plenty of 52p win bets here, and they get cheered on like there's a monkey on them. Toilets are locked, syringes are often found in the toilet, and I've had to 'chase' (politely ask to leave, before I call the cops) dealers from out the shop. Lovely place. Only redeeming feature is it's quiet, and there's a ladbrokes opposite so I can satiate my love of gambling.

Shop C - It's in the middle of about 5 pubs. Suffice to say, a constant stream of drunken punters make this shop a load of fun. I got sent here a couple of times when I was still quite the noobie - came very close to quitting after a couple of bad experiences here, mainly involving having to single man the shop, with ~ 15 punters trying to get on every race (every race - i.e. dogs, portman park) and get paid out. I lost around £30 both of the days I was there. Also, I've been told a story of a 50 year old, 20 stone woman urinating at the door because she was refused access to the toilet. Happily, this shop has been sold to another business. Haha!

I utterly detest being sent down this area. Luckily, because I'm quite the seasoned veteran now, my manager is quite keen to hold onto me and normally sends the other 'lesser' cashier to the shops that need cover. Unfortunately this was to play against me that week, because the other shop needed someone with a degree of compentency, and my shop already had the manager and the deputy working. Balls.

I was sent to shop B. And if having to go there wasn't bad enough, I was having to work with a girl to which whom I made a rather embarrassing proposition to on a staff night out (thankfully quite a while ago), whilst off my face drunk. Grrrrrrrreat.

Thankfully it wasn't that bad, managed to use patter to avoid any trouble with a few unsalacious types, and although the day's conversation was strained, it was bearable. No problems with junkies or any of their like.

The shop's still a shithole though.

Comments:
dear mr snob i happen to use bookies like yours down here in london,and it seems to me pretentious spotty,no nothing,cocksure brown nosers, like you,treat customers with indiffrence, like getting £2.50 an hour gives u the right to judge.u are on a par with flipping burgers in mac.u should concentrate on licking the district managers bum.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?